As a composer Max Murray has collaborated with musicians and ensembles including Noa Frenkel [Den Haag], Annie Gårlid+Matthew Conley+Nathan Plante [Berlin], RAGE THORMBONES [New York/L.A.], Liam Hockley [Vancouver], and Distractfold Ensemble [Manchester], among others, with works appearing in contexts such as the Gare du Nord «Dialog» [Basel], Klangwerkstatt [Berlin], and HaTeiva [Tel-Aviv].
Current projects include an evening-length music theatre piece for performers Samuel Stoll, Noëlle-Anne Darbellay, and Richard Craig, and a solo work for Christopher Otto [New York].
Since 2016 he has been conductor of Harvard University's Graduate School of Arts and Sciences' symphony orchestra, and currently directs a Bach cantata series in collaboration with the Harvard Art Museums: https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/visit/calendar/baroque-concert-performance, https://www.harvardartmuseums.org/visit/calendar/music-for-the-mass.
- For that which befalleth the sons of men befallth beasts - as the one dieth, so dieth the other / piccolo, English horn, fixed media - 2015
- They were born with Thee / solo performer [natural horn], fixed media - 2017
- Ajax / piccolo solo, fixed media - 2017
Versuche + Állatvanbent - Under the Head
- Erster Versuch über Homo Sacer / Bb clarinet, violin, viola, cello - 2008
- Állatvanbent - Under the Head / Bb clarinet, violin, viola, cello, electronics - 2016
- Zweiter Versuch über Homo Sacer / alto flute, bass clarinet, one percussionist - 2011
- Ad Marginem des Versuchs / bass clarinet solo, fixed media - 2015
- Szene nach Aktion / alto, two piccolo trumpets, fixed media - 2014
- Hlimman / two trombones, electronics - 2017
Preludes + Theater
- Gaddis' Grin / two performers [violin], fixed media - 2014
- Graben des Meridians / English horn, bass clarinet, timpani, cello, double-bass - 2013
- Mit Wechselndem Schlüssel / Bb clarinet, two acoustic guitars, two percussionists - 2010
- Praha / flute, violin, cello - 2007